- Big Data: Analytics Platforms. ACM SIGMOD 2012, Scotsdalle, AR, USA, May 2012.
- Crowdsourcing Applications and Platforms: A Data Management Perspective. AnHai Doan, Michael J. Franklin, Donald Kossmann, Tim Kraska; VLDB Conference, Seattle, USA, August 2011.
- What is new in the cloud - A Database Perspective. Keynote for the EuroSys 2011 Conference, Salzburg, Austria, April 2011. A paper that summarizes the main ideas of this talk is available here.
- Crescando: Predictable Performance for Unpredictable Workloads. IBM DB2 Community Meeting, Böblingen, Germany, September 2010.
- Building Web Applications without a DBMS. Keynote for the EDBT 2008 Conference, Nantes, France, March 2008.
- Predicate-based Indexing of Annotated Data, Palo Alto, CA, USA, March 2007.
- Testing Database Applications, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA, March 2007.
- Performance in the multicore era. Talk at CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. March, 2013.
- Hardware killed the Software star. Keynote at IEEE ICDE 2013, Brisbane, Australia. April, 2013.
- Multicore in Data Appliances, invited talk at the 18th CREST Open Workshop, University College London, March 2012.
- Andrei Popovici, Gustavo Alonso: Dynamic Weaving for Aspect oriented programming - a 10 Year Perspective. Talk given at ASOD 2012 in Postdam, Germany for the Most influential Paper Award awarded to the paper published at AOSD'02.
- Databases in the Cloud. Avaloq Developers Conference. Zürich, Switzerland. June, 2011.
- SwissBox: Revisiting the data processing software stack. Invited talk at the Department of Computer Science, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, December 2010.
- Gustavo Alonso and Bettina Kemme: Database Replication.Talk given for the 2010 VLDB 10 Year Best Paper Award. VLDB 2010, Singapore, September 2010.
- Cloud Computing and its Impact on Computer Science. Keynote, XV Jornadas de Ingeniería del Software y Bases de Datos, JISBD 2010, Valencia, Spain, September, 2010.
- Gustavo Alonso, Wolken kosten Geld Talk at the 2010 ELCA Update, Olten, Switzerland, June 2010.
- Challenges and Opportunities for Formal Specifications in Service Oriented Architectures . Keynote talk at Petri Nets 2008 (29th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets and Other Models of Concurrency), Xi'an, China, June 2008.
- Myth and Realities of Sensor Network Data Management. Keynote talk at DMSN'07 (4th International Workshop on Data Management for Sensor Networks, at VLDB 2007), Vienna, Austria, September, 2007.
- SwissQM: a Virtual Machine for Sensor Networks. Talk given at The University of Waterloo (Canada), University of Darmstadt (Germany), and the University of Bolzano (Italy), 2007.